The Des Gilmore Cup
The Des Gilmore Cup was introduced in 2011 to mark 40 years since our club’s Honorary President, Des Gilmore, joined GUHH and to celebrate the immense contribution which Des has made, and still makes, to the club and to the Scottish running community as a whole.
The race series consists of 5 races spread throughout the year and incorporates a variety of distances and terrain. The winning male and female will have their names engraved on the trophy, which is currently on display in the Stevenson Building at Glasgow University.
The 2018/19 Races
- SSS XC Champs, Aberdeen University, Saturday 3rd November 2018
- Braids Hill Race, Edinburgh, Saturday 17th November 2018
- National XC Championships, Falkirk, Saturday 23th February 2019
- Allan Scally Road Relays, Glasgow, March 2019
- Dumyat Hill Race, Stirling University, Wednesday 8th May
Apart from the obvious rules, there are 2 particular conditions for the race series:
- Runners must be competing for Glasgow University Hares and Hounds in order to be eligible for winning the cup.
- At least 4 out of the 5 races must be completed in order to be “in the running” for the cup.
The Points System
- All members of the club who enter each race will be ranked in order of their finishing position (separate rankings for Men and Women).
- 1 point is given to first place, 2 points to second place and so on.
- 4 out of the 5 races count towards each runner’s final total so, if they have entered all 5 events, the race from which they received the most points can be discounted.
- The runner with the lowest points total after the 5th race is declared champion! [In the case of a tie on points, the runner (of those involved in the tie) with the most 1st places will take the title of champion. If there is still a tie, 2nd place finishes are taken into consideration, then 3rd places etc. If they are still equal, the results of all 5 races will be considered. If this does not produce a winner, then the title will be shared between the inseparable runners.]